Saturday 28 September 2013

Account of prelim post production:

Today we went to the editing suite for the first time and used final cut to edit our prelims.

This lesson, I experienced my first time using Final Cut Pro. First of all I learnt how to set it up, the instructions were:
 
> productions
> prelims
> Adam
> find groups work (Lauren, Laura, Chris, Toby)
> click on the clog
> check out
> choose location
> desktop
> keep media with project
> check out
> groups name (should be on desktop) - click on it
Then, 'file new bin', create a 'rush bin', then press 'apple s' and 'apple q' - this saves the work.
  

We mainly did the cutting and positioning of film clips today, we didn't manage to edit out or put in sound but we will be doing that next week. I also learnt how to set up a 'Log bin' and a 'Rush bin'. The Rush bin held all my shots in, and the Log bin held my shots but specific shots that I wanted to use in my prelim so that it made easier to just get it from a shorter list rather than going through the whole Rush bin.
 

I learnt how to set up final cut, but most importantly, I learnt how to edit the film clips. I learnt how to cut the clips shorter and how to position the clips, so that when it cut from one angle to another, it looked clean and it looked natural. 

As we had to film lots of different angles of the scene, it made editing so much more fun as we had more angles to experiment with. All the filming worked well and it was really easy managing to cut back and forth from wide angle shots, to close ups, to over the shoulders. All the angles worked well and they looked really effective on screen. When finishing editing, the film looked so conversational and normal and it was really pleasing to watch.

I managed to use a good variation of angles which made the sequence so much more interesting. 
I learnt how to cut bits efficiently and quickly, so bits that I had filmed with both vital and boring bits in, I could cut and alter which was easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment