Friday 12 September 2014

Researching the appeals of music videos to 17-19 year olds

In today's lesson we all wrote down a music video from a song we liked. We then had to hand them in, and then at random we would pick one, get it up on YouTube and guess who in the class had chosen that song. This exercise was extremely helpful as the age group in my class is a key audience for music videos as we tend to listen to a lot of our music on places like YouTube which show us the videos for songs.

I had guessed two out of three out of the people's songs who came up (because one of them was me). These were my notes of today:

1. The first song that came up was 'Holding onto Heaven - Foxes'. We then came up with reasons why we liked this song... We liked it because it had like a dizziness/surreal feel which was a bit different and fun. I think this was a liked video as well as there are more girls in the class than boys. The video was very pretty/innocent/fairy tale like etc. I thought that overall, the target audience for this video would be older teens/young adults.

 
2. The second song we listened to was 'Crazy in Love - Beyonce' (which was the song I chose). The reason I, and the class, liked this video was down to the look of Beyonce - her beauty, figure, costumes (desirable fashion/clothing) and sexiness which is what girls tend to look up to as it is what they wish to look like and aspire to look like with Role models like Beyonce. We discussed that the choreography was eye catching, sexy which is enjoyable to watch. We also talked about the rhythmic editing elements in the song which made it look hot, sexy etc. I thought that the target audience age group for this video would be younger female audiences who idolize the beauty and the performance in the music video. 



3. Lastly, we listened to the music video '30 second to Mars - Up in the Air'. We discussed that it was very visually interesting with all the different elements going on within the video. The lighting was appealing as it used different tones, and the art design was very interesting. The video has a very decadent look. I think we decided that the target audience for this video was bigger than the others but decided it was mainly for teenagers of both sexes/young adults of both sexes. 




I like elements from all the different music videos here. Personally, the choreography in the Beyonce video appeals to me in particular as I think choreography in a music video makes it very strong, very eye catching and visually it looks and works really well. I quite like the quirky-ness of the last video, I like all the different elements that go on because it makes it interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment